Introduction to Wild Swimming
Have you never swum outdoors before but have always been keen to try it? Then this is the event for you. It is aimed at complete beginners but if you are an experienced swimmer and would like to support new swimmers (or just want to swim with LHW) then please join us too!
We will meet in the Thriepmuir carpark at 7pm and walk to the reservoir to swim. The reservoir is sheltered and (relatively) warm so perfect for a first wild dip. You can swim in just a swimming costume a full wetsuit and whatever else makes you feel comfortable! If you are a beginner, check out the kit list bellow and feel free to ask any questions you have. How long you stay in is very much up to you and we will not be swimming big distances! However, you must be able to swim to join this event we are not able to support non-swimmers in the water.
You can get Lothian busses to Balerno and then walk to the carpark, there are bike racks and I will be driving from Edinburgh city centre so can give up to 4 people a lift.
- Something to swim in
- Plastic bag to put all your wet stuff in
- Lots of warm layers which are easy to put on (including a hat, gloves and warm jacket even if it is a sunny day)
- A warm drink in a thermos
- A snack/ picnic dinner/ cake for afterwards
- (optional) something to wear on your feet in the water (old trainers, water shoes or wetsuit shoes are all great) the banks can have some sharp stones and then be very soft and muddy so some people prefer this
As always, you join LHW events at your own risk and are responsible for your own safety at all times. Please see the about section of the Central Scotland Facebook group for more details.
Please do consider supporting the Love Her Wild community by becoming a Patreon! Not only will you be helping women in accessing the outdoors, but there are great benefits including giveaways and access to an exclusive newsletter.