The Dartmoor Crossing
FRIDAY, 2 AUGUST 2019 – SUNDAY, 4 AUGUST 2019
** FULL **
The route will travel through some of the parks most remote areas, the terrain will be tough and you will be covering up to 18 miles per day. You will be carrying all your equipment for two days and wild camping on the Saturday night under the stars.
This is an amazing opportunity to explore and learn about one of the UK’s most underrated National Parks. Feel and experience real wilderness and achieve a huge accomplishment with this North to South crossing.
Friday night we will check into our bunkhouse accommodation (Dewerstone Bunkhouse) and have a team briefing so everyone is ready for the challenge ahead. Following breakfast the next morning, we will leave behind the bunkhouse and head into the heart of Dartmoor. A wilderness camp (we will try to camp near a body of water) await tired feet on Saturday night and hopefully the prospect of some star gazing.
An early start Sunday will ensure we are able to complete the crossing at Okehampton on the North of the moor. A pre-booked taxi can be arranged to take us back to the start point for those who need it.
Who will be leading this expedition?
This expedition is being led by Love Her Wilder Kate Owen, who is a qualified mountain guide and Dartmoor local. Kate grew up here and is passionate about sharing this beautiful landscape with others. Those of you who came to the Love Her Wild Weekend 2018 may remember Kate from the navigation workshop she delivered.
– Qualified and insured mountain leader
– Group equipment including compass and maps
What’s Not included
– Food and snacks (you will need to bring expedition food for the challenge. You might wish to bring food to cook on the Friday night and Saturday morning in the bunkhouse)
– Travel to and from the start of the expedition (a taxi will be arranged for the group back to the start and will cost roughly £20 per person)
– Friday night accommodation (we will be staying in a shared bunkhouse costing £15 per person)
– Personal equipment
What will I need to bring:
– Personal lightweight Tent – 1-2 persons (ideally we will all be sharing to minimise kit)
– Sleeping Bag and Roll Matt
– Waterproof boots
– Waterproof Jacket and Trousers
– Rucksack – must be big enough to carry all equipment
– Warm Layers
– Hat and gloves
– Stove and gas (we will be sharing 1 stove between 2)
– Camping cutlery and Mug
Participants do not need any prior hillwalking experience, however you will need to be in good physical fitness and capable of completing 2 long expedition days carrying a heavy bag.