FRIDAY, 4 MAY 2018 – TUESDAY, 8 MAY 2018
In 2017, something incredible happened, called the ‘Everest Adventure’, that would change the lives of 6 women and shape the future of Love Her Wild. In case you missed it, you can read a summary of the adventure here.
I wanted to offer a similar experience to the Love Her Wild community again in 2018. Something that would bring together a team and provide a focus and opportunity to ‘everyday’ women. But knew it needed to be a different challenge altogether.
I met Emma Lawton at Yestival where both of us had been delivering talks. Emma is brilliant, one of the best speakers I have ever seen and ridiculously funny. She also has Parkinson’s. When she said she wanted to do an adventure I immediately asked her if she would work with me on putting together a new Love Her Wild expedition. She said yes (…..the general theme of the festival).
There was a reason I wanted to work with Emma on this expedition (other than the fact I really liked her!) and that was because of the boundaries that her disability force upon her. There are so many women in the Love Her Wild community who have boundaries that come to play when adventuring – physical disabilities, difficult financial situations, dependent children, time restrictions, the list goes on….
We don’t all have the luxury of fitness and time to train or money for flights or health to conquer mountains. It’s a consideration that is too often overlooked.
So much of the adventure world is focused on huge physical feats. Breaking records, travelling the furthest and fastest. But there are other ways that you can achieve the physical and mental challenges of adventuring without being an athlete and this is exactly what Emma and myself want to celebrate.
We are on a mission to open the world of adventure up to all and to do that we need women to join our team!
Looking for female teammates
So here is our challenge…..we will be attempting to survive in the woods for 5 days with nothing but basic survival gear. We will have to learn how to work together as a team to build a shelter, start a fire, collect water and allocated food.
There is tough physical element to this. Sleeping on the ground without roll mats, surviving on little food and being exposed to the elements 24/7. But a lot of this challenge is mental stamina.
The team will be made up of 10 women with different backgrounds, abilities, cultures and skills.
Our goal is to inspire all women by showing that adventure, like us, come in all shapes and sizes.
This is a team effort from the start and a lot of the hard work will start before the adventure even begins, although the team will only meet for the first time on day 1 of the expedition.
As a team, we will decide what the basic survival gear is that we are allowed to take with us….although tents and sleeping mats definitely won’t be allowed!
We will allocate roles between us so that we can research and finalise expedition logistics, secure sponsorship and seek media interest. It’s a great opportunity to get involved in the ‘behind the scenes’ of expedition planning.
Exped dates: Friday 4th May – Tuesday 8th May 2018
How to apply to join the team?
If applying to join the team you agree to the following…
- Being a member of the Love Her Wild Facebook group
- Being available from the evening 3rd May until the evening on the 8th May
- Travelling to and from the expedition (location TBC but will be England or Wales)
- Helping with the planning stage of the expedition which may include doing research, sending emails and making calls, helping with social media – sharing our story is a big part of achieving our mission!
- Covering costs involved. Although we will try to secure sponsorship and funding this is not guaranteed. At the very least you need to be able to cover the cost of your transport to and from the start and food. You will need some gear – waterproofs (top and bottom), warm clothing, sleeping bag and bivvy bag – these can be borrowed if needed.
- Being filmed and having your photo taken for media use
- Working as part of a team and to 100% respect other peoples beliefs and opinions
- Signing up to our newsletters (can be unsubscribed at any time)
If you agree to ALL the above and want to apply, please send an email with the following:
- a photo of yourself and your full name, age, location
- a bit about you and who you are as a person
- why you want to take part in this expedition and what it means to you
- what you can bring to the team (remember this is not about outdoor experience, we are looking for all types of women so tell us what strengths you do have)
The length of the application is up to you (but don’t feel like you need to write pages!!). If you prefer, it is fine to send it in video form. Please note that you will not get a response to your application until after the closing date as I will be out of the country for some of the time.
Send to: [email protected]
Deadline: Wednesday 14th February
How will the team be selected?
I’ve had the pleasure of meeting so many of the Love Her Wild community over the last year so to keep it fair, I won’t be involved in the initial stage of selection. I have 3 impartial judges lined up to read through every application and to select the women that they think will be the best fit for the expedition. They are a family member, Seanna Fallon (our brilliant Love Her Wild Ambassador) and Emma Lawton.
Selection will be based on suitability, enthusiasm and what individuals are able to bring to the team.