The Outdoor Academy
FRIDAY, 21st – SUNDAY 23rd APRIL 2023
In 2023, 15 Wilders will be chosen to join the Outdoor Academy! This adventure weekend has been put together with the purpose of boosting confidence so that the participating women can start making the outdoors and adventure a bigger part of their lives. This specially designed academy combines outdoor skills, workshops, discussions and adventure – all delivered by experienced female expedition leaders.
Thanks to our supporting partners – Alpkit Foundation and Newbury Building Society – the Outdoor Academy will be free for the selected women!
What you get:
- 2-nights shared accommodation (in Berkshire) and all food over the course of the weekend
- A welcome Zoom call to get to know the leaders and team before you come
- An opportunity to be a part of a supportive team, including female LHW guides and a buddy system with team members based nearby (The Outdoor Academy is also being used to advance training and opportunities for assistant outdoor leaders!)
- Planning, navigation and outdoor skills
- Confidence-building workshops
- ‘Take home’ action points to continue your outdoor journey
- Kit and clothes provided if needed
- There might be a chance we can support with travel if needed (to be agreed before the event)
– Team member/participant Zoom Q&A session Wednesday 11th January at 7.30pm (optional – if you have any questions about participating or applying for the Outdoor Academy)
– Meet the team Zoom: Wednesday 15th March at 7.30pm
– Outdoor Academy: Friday 21st – Sunday 23rd April
Who is the Outdoor Academy for?
We are seeking 15 outdoor beginners who would like to make the outdoors (and LHW!) a bigger part of their lives and who would benefit from support with their skills and confidence. The Outdoor Academy is for you if you are a member of any LHW Facebook group, haven’t attended more than 1 event, and you’re reading this thinking:
- I’m a complete beginner and don’t know where to start!
- I’m not a proper outdoorsy person
- I’m worried about going on my own and won’t know anyone
- I don’t have the right kit/clothes
- I’ve been ‘lurking’ online but want to get more involved
- I feel like I don’t have the skills or know navigation enough to get outdoors more
- I’m not fit or fast enough so I’ll hold everyone up
As an inclusive women’s adventure community, we welcome applications from all backgrounds, ethnicities, abilities and identities including (but not limited to) queer, trans-women and non-binary.
How to apply:
By applying for either role you agree to:
- Being a member of the LHW Facebook group
- Being available for the 21st-23rd April 2023 weekend
- Traveling to/from Berkshire (a contribution to travel costs is available for those in need but will only be received after the event and must be pre-agreed)
- Being a positive, flexible, supportive and reflective team member
- Being filmed/photographed for media use
- Commit to being involved in follow up actions including sharing your experience
- Paying a £50 fully-refundable deposit – this will need to be paid when you receive your place and will be returned the day after the weekend. We are using this deposit system to ensure commitment and reduce drop-outs.
APPLY TO BE AN OUTDOOR ACADEMY TEAM MEMBER:
Applications open Friday 6th January (10am) until Friday 3rd February (10am). If you have any questions or require any support you can join the Leader Zoom Q&A session Wednesday 11th January at 7.30pm.
BOOKINGS NOW CLOSED
If you have any questions regarding the Outdoor Academy, please don’t hesitate to contact Sian.